Monday, March 13, 2006

There is Always a First

Capturing your thoughts is like catching minnows with a net. As a kid, I remember standing on the side of a pond, staring down at the little fish swimming just a foot away from the bank. After gently lowering my loop net into the water, I tried to slowly swirl it around the agile fish but was unable to catch even one. Finally I gave up and just slapped the net into the water. After pulling it out, I was surprised to find several fish flipping around.

Much is the same when righting down my own thoughts about events in the US or overseas. While I'm tempted to sit and contemplate my thoughts before I write them down, which I might add would be the educated, logical way to articulate any point, I am going to do something different. I'm going to fire off my ideas stream of conscience and we'll see what happens. There are so many conflicting emotions and thoughts that run through my mind when I see news stories flash across the TV or internet. Why does war happen? Is it avoidable? What does it matter that the US has a gazillion dollar budget deficit? Will it affect my ability to buy a burrito at Chipotle?

While I cannot forecast world events (including the future existence of Chipotle), I get excited when I see cause and consequence in the world and feel there is a valid explanation for both. That is my desire and goal...to provide commentary on such subjects in a way that conveys feeling and encourages understanding of the deeper elements hidden behind opaque world events.

This will be a learning experience for anyone reading this. I think it will also be a revealing lesson in capturing my own thoughts and concerns. I study foreign affairs and work with many men and women who have made it a career. The broader question is "do I actually care about all this?" Is it a thought experiment or something that captures my own heart when I write about war crimes or global inequity? I honestly don't know the answer but I'm hoping to move just a bit closer by sharing my thoughts with you.

Stephen

1 Comments:

At 7:37 AM, Blogger Natala said...

Looking forward to reading your thoughts, and why it all means so much.
Great start.....

 

Post a Comment

<< Home